When the words “plastic surgery” come to mind, many people think of it as a joke. This bad reputation isn’t surprising, as the media has highlighted plastic surgery horror stories and celebrities who take plastic surgery too far. The seriousness of plastic surgery being an actual surgery has been downplayed throughout the years. Plastic surgery is a surgical procedure; therefore, when a person decides to “go under the knife,” they should be adequately prepared in order to achieve the best results and have a safe operation.
Before Your Surgery
The plastic surgery preparation process should start weeks before the procedure. Patients who are undergoing body contouring procedures, such as liposculpture or a tummy tuck, should start months before their surgery; it is important for patients who are undergoing these procedures to lose as much excess weight to be at or near their ideal size.
Dr. Baker will provide patients with instructions on:
- How to prepare before surgery
- What to do the night before surgery
- How anesthesia is used
- How to be prepared for after surgery
- How to care for surgical wounds
- Postoperative care and follow-up appointments
Two months before surgery, patients should:
- Stop smoking
- Lose excess weight, if necessary, to be at or near their ideal size
Two weeks before surgery, patients should:
- Discontinue taking herbal supplements
- Follow a healthy diet
- Stay hydrated
- Stop taking aspirin, aspirin-containing products, and anti-inflammatory drugs
- Refrain from alcohol and drug use
- Get a lab test or a medical evaluation
- Designate a person to care for them after surgery
- Pick up prescribed postoperative medications, if possible.
The day of surgery, patients should:
- Get a ride to and from surgery
- Be physically healthy (if sick, you should postpone your surgery)
- Have had plenty of rest
Plastic Surgery Is Serious
When deciding to undergo plastic surgery, patients should take it seriously. It is important that they are undergoing the procedure for themselves, are realistic about the outcome, and are in good health. When choosing a plastic surgeon, make sure you feel comfortable with them and that they are qualified and experienced to perform the procedure.
Dr. Baker is an internationally renowned top cosmetic surgeon who is highly experienced and has a reputation for exemplary care. He offers customized procedures and has the judgment to deliver safe and aesthetically pleasing results.
If you are interested in undergoing plastic surgery, Dr. Baker can help you properly prepare for your procedure. You can schedule your consultation by calling (305) 859-4729 or by filling out our online contact form.