Many people find themselves looking at their bodies in the mirror and noticing a “pooched-out” abdomen that is embarrassing and unflattering. Perhaps they have already tried diet and exercise to get rid of fat in the abdomen but have had little to no success. Often, plastic surgery comes to mind for those who face this common problem.
Liposuction and tummy tuck surgery are both ideal solutions for improving the appearance of the midsection. However, a person may be unsure if they need tummy tuck surgery, liposuction, or both. Before undergoing any plastic surgery procedure, it is important to educate yourself on what the procedure is and how it is performed.
What is tummy tuck surgery?
Tummy tuck surgery is performed to remove excess skin and tighten the abdominal muscles. An incision is made out of sight below the bathing suit/underwear line. Through the incision, the rectus muscles are pulled tight and sutured together. Excess skin is trimmed away, and the remaining skin is redraped to create more flattering abdominal contours.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a surgical procedure designed to remove localized fat from targeted areas. To remove fat, Dr. Baker will utilize liposculpture to further define the contours of the body. Small incisions are placed at the fat removal site(s). A thin, hollow tube (cannula) is inserted through the incisions, and a back-and-forth motion is used to loosen the fat. Fat tissue is suctioned through the cannula, incisions are closed, and a compression garment is applied.
Which procedure is right for me?
Every patient will receive a personalized surgery plan. When deciding on the proper technique to meet your anatomy and goals, you should consider the following:
- Pregnancy: Many women are left with excess fat and tissue, unwanted slack, flabby skin, and loose abdominal muscles after having children. Depending on the severity of fat and excess skin, a tummy tuck combined with liposuction may be ideal for achieving optimal results.
- Massive weight loss: Although many patients can achieve their goal weight with massive weight loss surgeries, such as gastric bypass surgery, they are left with loose, hanging skin in the abdomen afterward. Tummy tuck surgery is the perfect procedure for removing unwanted skin and creating a firmer, flatter midsection.
- Sagging skin and excessive stubborn fat: When a patient has sagging abdominal skin along with excess fat, a tummy tuck with liposuction is typically the best way for a patient to remove troublesome fat and skin.
- Only excess fat; no hanging skin: If a patient only has excess fat in the abdomen, they may only need to undergo liposuction to remove fat and contour the abdomen. Patients can choose to have liposuction performed on multiple areas of the body during one operation for optimal results.
- Stretch marks: Many men and women develop stretch marks in the abdominal area due to weight fluctuations. Tummy tuck surgery involves removing excess skin, which is the only effective way to eliminate the stretch marks on that skin.
There are many benefits of undergoing tummy tuck surgery, liposuction, or both. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, liposuction and tummy tuck can improve the quality of life. Patients not only meet their fat removal goals but report significant improvements in their self-esteem.
Dr. Stephan Baker is a highly experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon who will help you achieve a better-contoured midsection. To learn more about your options, schedule your consultation today! Contact us by calling (305) 859-4729 or by filling out our online contact form.